Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Live Laugh Love

It occured to me that my cards recently have been of the somber sweet nature and while that's all well and fine, I didn't want to risk being pigeon holed as a soppy romantic. (Something my friends know that I am definately not! lol.) I decided it was time to shake things up a bit! It didn't take much deliberation to choose this insufferable character from Bugaboo! lol Isn't she great? I often turn to Bugaboo when I want a good diversion from sweet little kids, teddy bears and tea parties. I even dug out of my scrap bin this tooth achingly acid-sweet pink paper for the background. Here's a front view:

Aah yes, the woman herself. When I see this old lady I think of my grandmother "Nanny Nan" the "Queen Of The Red Hat Society"! lol Only my grandma looks a little more friendly in her dollar store dress up red plastic hats and feather boas. She'll do anything for a laugh. Rather like someone else we all know and love! Hahaha  But anyway back to the card!

C'mon  woman, smile! It keeps your teeth in place!

My recipe is:

Image: Bugaboo digi
Colors: Prismacolor pencils
Paper: a bit of everything
Flower: My own conglomerate creation
Sentiment: Bugaboo
Bradz: so old the company is probably out of business
Embossing Folder: Cuttlebug
Stitching: Machine done

Below is a close up of the sentiment and flower:

Oh! By the way. I ran into some trouble when my daughter admired my card this morning. She didn't "get " the joke. "What are depends?", she asked. Well, that would depend  in what part of the world you hail from! Here in the US depends are diapers. Adult diapers if we're being proper.
Oh dear, that just reminded me of the occasion I had to buy some "depends" for my mother inlaw who we were caring for with ALS. She had lost so much weight I didn't know what size to get and lets face it its embarassing buying adult diapers. So first I went to Walmart to see if I could find some normal kids diapers that were for larger kids (as there's lots of large toddlers in the states ) so that I wouldn't have to humiliate myself in the adult diaper section. As I was analizing all the larger diapers a woman beside me asked,   (people in the states are quite friendly)  " so how old is your kid? 
 " Seventy four",  I said..

I was back to square one. the diapers didn't fit and I had to go out and buy real adult diapers. I chose a small pharmacy that I reckoned didn't get much business and who kept their adult diapers on the far wall where no one would notice me. It was bewildering! Who would have thought there were so many? I felt like a man in a tampax aisle. I must have paced that aisle a hundred times. And horror or horror, here comes this nicely dressed old lady to get something herself. She stops short when she sees me and says, "Honey, don't tell me you need these already!"

In the end she helped me find what I wanted as she "had expeience." :-)

I would like to enter this card in the following challenges:

Bugaboo: Summer
Frosted Design: Lyrics "Live Laugh Love" by Clay Walker
Crazy 4 Challenges: Photo Inspiration
Sentimental Sundays: fun and games, humor.


13 comments:

Pat said...

This card is so cute & funny!!!! Love it! Thanks for playing at FD!

Maria Matter said...

too funny! Beautiful card Dorcas, wonderful coloring!
blessings!

Crafting Queen said...

Great card, love the image and the sentiment! Thanks for joining us at Sentimental Sundays.

Stacey G.-2 Craf-t-4u said...

Very funny! so was the story!

Joni Parker said...

cute..great story. Thanks for joining us at Frosted Designs.

Nikki said...

Funny Card and Great Sentiment :) Thanks for Playing Incy Wincy this Week
Hugs Nikki and the rest of the DT

all the days of our life said...

This card is just too cute. Thanks for playing with us at FD.

mudmaven said...

What a totally fun card! I love that Bugaboo gal - so versatile and sure to put a smile on your face. Thanks so much for playing in our Sentimental Sundays challenge this week. ~chris

Ann English said...

What a fun card-love the image and the sentiment-perfect! Thank you for joining us at Sentimental Sundays!

Jackie said...

This is so darn fun! I love how you colored everything, this is fabulous! Thanks for playing along at The Catch the Bug Challenge!

Tammy Miller said...

Pretty! I love those flowers! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Catch The Bug Challenge Blog

Audrey Ernst (hippieaud) said...

This is GORGEOUS!! LOVE the layout you chose and awesome work on the image. Thanks so much for playing along with Bugaboo this week:)

Tammy Miller said...

Hi you were the lucky 3rd place winner at catch the bug challenge blog you get to pick 2 free images please let me know what your choices are at tsmiller@insightbb.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails